Sunday, November 24, 2013

Brandon's 4 Month Birthday.

Brandon turned 4 months old back on November 3rd. I know, I know, that was over 3 weeks ago. And you'll be getting a 5 month update probably in a week or 2 from now... But it's never too late to celebrate, right? :)

I am SOOOO in love with my little man. He just gets more and more adorable, alert, and responsive every day. At 4 months old, his head control is finally ALMOST solid. I say ALMOST because some days he just gets lazy (probably because mama spoils him like crazy by carrying him around EVERYWHERE), and he'll just let himself go. It doesn't happen often though. He knows mama will be there to catch him if he turns to jelly. He loves sitting up either in my lap, face out, or in his baby bumbo. He just LOVES to watch and observe everything that's going on in front of him. He loves seeing the world sitting upright much more than viewing it from the ground up. But who can blame him? And boy is he ever so observant. His eyes intently follow everything that interests him.

He's also able to sit straight up when I pull him up by his hands from the lying down position. When he's sitting upright, he soaks in all that he sees around him, and you can totally tell he enjoys seeing all of these new things. And when something tickles his fancy, this boy will definitely laugh up a storm and smile the biggest, cutest smile ever. And let me tell ya- this boy is easily amused. He laughs at everything!!!! And it seems like everything makes him happy. He's definitely a flirt because any time anyone says hi to him, he gives them his award winning smile. He went from being the most unhappiest baby on the block (pre-medicine for his reflux), to the most happiest, giggly baby who always love to smile.

I also know for a fact that he already recognizes objects. I use the Baby K'Tan sling to carry him around when my poor little arms are about to break off from carrying our butterball around. He LOVES that sling so much, especially since he gets to face forward in it. Every time he sees me pick up the Baby K'tan, his face lights up, and he ends up smiling with delight, no matter what mood he's in- whether he's calm or crying. He knows that when I pick that sling up, he gets to be carried around and gets to go on an exploration. This kid seems very adventurous. :)


At 4 months old, Brandon's 1st tooth has almost broken through! Yikes! So all of the crazy drooling and hand munching that started about a month and a half ago, really was from teething! His bottom right tooth is right there at the gum line, but hasn't quite broken through just yet. You can see a white little sliver in a dent in his gums. Man, what an early starter! Madi's first tooth didn't erupt until she was 7 months old! And all of this teething madness has also made our silly bear quite cranky at times. There were about 2 nights worth of screaming and crying and massive hand munching in the middle of the night. So I went and got him some homeopathic teething tablets, teething oils to soothe his gums, AND got him an amber teething necklace, which supposedly is a natural pain reliever when the necklace is worn and warmed by the skin. I was quite skeptical about the healing power of this amber necklace, and I don't know if it was a coincidence or what, but the night he first wore the necklace, he slept soundlessly again. I've since kept it on him pretty much 24/7. I wrap it around his ankle at night when he sleeps. (Necklace featured in picture below).


Here are Brandon's stats from his 4 month well baby visit:

HEIGHT: 25.75 inches (76%)

WEIGHT: 15lbs 1oz (41%)

HEAD CIRCUMFERENCE: 41.5cm (30%)


Everything checked out well at his 4 month doctor visit. The only concern I had, which I brought up to the pediatrician, was about his lopsided head. That's right. As cute as he is, this kid has a weird shaped head. Most likely caused by sleeping on the lounger since he was days old, keeping him upright from the reflux. It not only flattened the right side of his head (since he used to only turn his head to the right), but now the bottom of his head is also flattened, which is pushing the rest of his skull to go upwards. Looking at Brandon from the front, he looks normal. But looking at him from the side, you can totally tell that his head is just weird. So I asked the pediatrician about getting Brandon a helmet to help shape his poor little noggin into something beautiful. :) Long story short, he got examined by a helmet specialist and he does, indeed, need a helmet. Now, the granola part of me decided to try out a baby chiropractor who specializes in craniosacral work (manipulating the skull plates with the use of touch, massage, and just pure magic haha), first. If this lady can massage the crap out of Brandon's head to make it back to normal, then heck yea I would go that route instead of subjecting my baby to wearing a helmet 24/7 for 3 months straight. We'll see if the magic of chiropractic can help shape my Silly Bear's flattened head!

Other than that, Brandon has finally become a dream come true. He's been sleeping in his own room since he was about 3 months and a week old. And he's doing so awesome! This guy sleeps for a good 8 - 9 hour stretch before waking up for his first feeding of the night. He usually goes to bed around 7pm, and wakes anywhere between 3am - 4am. Then he wakes up around 6:15am and is up for the day. I can't argue with his happy demeanor, and I simply cannot argue with his cuddly-ness. This guy loves to be held, hugged, kissed, and cuddled, and he will definitely fall asleep on you throughout the day. I surely cannot get enough of my little Silly Bear meatball!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment