Tuesday, February 5, 2013
Madi's Baby Brother!
Last Thursday, Madi and I went to my very exciting doctor's appointment! We were both super excited because this would be the appointment where we would possibly find out the gender of this little bean growing in my belly! As I said before, I was really hoping for another girl- just because girls are made of cotton candy, puppy noses, and all things sweet! :) Madison was really really REALLY hoping for a baby sister as well. She would always refer to the baby in my belly as "my baby sister," and would ALWAYS call it a "she" or "her" when talking about it. Even though I've warned her that the baby could quite possibly be a baby boy, she would quickly correct me and say, "No. It's my baby SISTER." Anyway, Elbert was suppose to go to the appointment with me, but had a last minute business meeting in LA. So I promised him that I wouldn't find out the gender if it was possible, but that I would have my doctor write the gender down on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope for us to open together as a family.
We got into the ultrasound room, and of course, I had to peek at my little baby on the tv screen. The doctor showed me its head, its spine, and its legs. Then he slowly turned the baby's body to find its bottom. I guess I should have looked away at this point. But alas, I quickly and nonchalantly took a gander at the TV screen. And when I laid my eyes on that TV screen for that split nanosecond, the baby's third leg reached out and slapped me across my face. "Oh no!" was all I could say. My doctor yelled, "You looked!!!" And all I could say was... "It was just there! It's soooo obvious!" And to my (short lived) dismay, that third leg was definitely the baby's wee wee. Sigh... When I asked for a baby boy during my first pregnancy, I got blessed with a darling little girl. And now that I was hoping for another precious little girl, I am getting a stinky little boy hahaha. Check out this ultrasound picture. It makes me laugh every time I see it. It's just... Out there!
So I kept my mouth shut and didn't tell Madi because (1) I knew she would be disappointed, and (2) there would be no way she would keep it a secret from Daddy. So I made my own special little "surprise" envelope for Elbert to open, for when he came home. I included these pictures of Madi holding the "it's a boy" sign, as well as the ultrasound photo.
When Elbert came home from work, he and Madi opened the envelope. Elbert was over the moon with excitement! Madi, on the other hand, didn't take the news quite as well. Her face melted in disappointment and then she gave a big, long cry for a good 10 minutes or so. Poor thing. She really wanted that baby sister. That night, when I put her to bed, Madi had asked me, "It's a baby sister?" I said, "No. It's a baby brother." "It's a boy?" "Yes, it's a boy." "Oh... I'm sorry mama." :) My little girl. She knew I wanted a baby girl too. But I told her that there will be times in our lives when we can't make choices on our own. And when this little boy comes into the world, we are going to love him so much, and she's going to be the best big sis to her baby brother.
The next day, while I was driving Madi to preschool, I told her that she can share the news to all of her friends that she was going to get a baby brother. Her response? "But I wanted a girl." And then proceeded to sulk all the way to school about it.
I am happy to say that (I think) she has finally accepted the fact that she is going to be a big sister to a baby brother. Because now she will say that she is going to have a baby brother, and says it with pride. And me? Well, although I didn't get the little princess I was hoping for, searching through Pottery Barn Kids boys nurseries have made me accept the fact that having a little prince in the house will just be as divine! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment