Monday, January 18, 2010

Gossip Girl.

We haven't even made it to our first pre-natel appointment yet, scheduled for October 15th, when I started getting phone calls from Elbert's friends saying, "Congratulations!!!!" So, if I was already pissed off at Elbert for spilling the beans to his parents (ruining my plans on surprising our parents in a cute fashion), how do you think I was when half of his friends already knew? I haven't even told my closest friends the big news yet! I wanted to at least wait for our first appointment... Get the doctor's OK that yes, I am indeed pregnant, with a healthy living sea monkey... Who knows what creature is lurking in my belly before this appointment, right? I expressed my "concerns" with Elbert, letting him know to not tell anyone else until I know we're all healthy. And that I would love to wait until after the first trimester before I told the whole world... Again, let me remind you... I was the most freaked out, scared, paranoid, person in the world at this point as well...

One Friday night (I think it may have been October 2nd), we went out for our weekly dinner date nights... We were at this hole in the wall Mexican food joint, waiting for our food, when one of Elbert's ex-clients came strolling in... He noticed Elbert and immediately said Hi! Followed by a "Congratulations!!!" I've never met this man before or anything, but I was ready to kick Elbert in the balls, when I realized that this man was congratulating Elbert on getting a promotion/ new job. After they conversed, I told Elbert that I was about to seriously chop his balls off, when I realized that he was being congratulated on the new position... Sheepishly, Elbert admitted that he told his friend, Mark, about our news, who actually works for that man who was just talking to Elbert... And he told his swim team friends... And God only knows who else he told or who else his friends told, and so on and so forth... All I said was, you better hope that this baby is healthy or else YOU are going to be the one telling the world the bad news. I didn't want to jinx anything. So I ended up calling him a Gossip Girl that night (I don't think he appreciated it), but that's what he was. Again, I TOTALLY appreciate him being such an excited daddy-to-be, but this was a really scary time for me, and I just really didn't want to be excited about the unknown... Or be overly excited about something that may or may not be...

I don't think I ended up telling 2 of my bestest friends until a week after our first appointment... I surprised them with a picture of our baby's first ultrasound picture (I was determined to surprise someone with that!), and I don't think I told a soul until a month later... I probably ended up telling a total of 4 more people from November up until today (January 18th, 2010). OK, I'm lying, I finally told the entire world today, but before today, I hardly told a soul. And don't get me wrong, I'm excited as hell, but again, I just didnt want to jinx anything...

1 comment:

  1. That is one awesome picture of Elbert w/ his GG crew! Congratulations!!! -Kim Bae

    ReplyDelete