Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Survived Week 1 of Parenting! :)


I can't even tell you how fast this past week has gone by already! It seemed like only yesterday, I was laboring as much as possible at home, Linda came over to help me get through my contractions, and Dr. Biter told me I was 9cm dilated. Everything after that was all such a blur. I never thought I would only be spending a little over an hour at the hospital, pushing my little one out.

Even though it's only been a week, baby Madison has impressed us with her punctual internal clock (she gets hungry every 3 hours on the dot), cute diva-like personality (thanks Elbert for passing on your temper tantrum genes), powerful abdominal muscles to push out the loudest and funniest farts, and super amazing exploding diaper tricks (yes, poo has flown on to my face somehow). She passed all of her meconium poop (the black, tar-like poo that newborns poo out) by day 2, and started having regular yellow breastfed poops by day 3. (Yes, that means my milk came in FAST on day 2. I have an oversupply of milk and its so uncomfortable sometimes! Gah!). She's an expert sleeper and wakes up only when she needs to be fed. She's slowly spending more awake time after each feeding now, and sits there and stares at us with her two little eyeballs, soaking everything in that she sees. I heard that newborns have growth spurts around 7 - 10 days old, at 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, and at 9 months (approximately). Madi has already gotten her growth spurt on day 6. How do we know? Well, instead of her usual 3 hour feeding schedule, she started waking up every hour on the dot. This is called "cluster feeding," and is a sign that she is growing and needs more food. That cluster feeding of hers was pretty painful, especially to me during the night, and to my poor boobies who just need a vacation! haha.

Madi's umbilical cord stump fell off on June 7th- her one week birthday! That means we can put her in cute, button down outfits and give her a real bath soon! This little one seems like a total over-acheiver with all of her super fast development so far. All of these traits are all Elbert. The only thing I can claim that she got from me so far are my long legs, long fingers, and long toes. Oh! And she's a looker! haha :)

I am SO in love with her cute little voice! Not that she says much, other than "Ah!" Everything is "ah" to her right now, mixed in with the occasional cry. If we don't feed her quick enough, she screams at the top of her lungs like she's being tortured or something. If it ever gets to that point, her face gets all red and her little eyes start bulging hahaha. It's quite hilarious actually. :)

Elbert's been an amazing help with everything. He's been the official poopie cleaner-upper and the official tickle monster to keep Madi awake during our feedings. She tends to fall asleep while feeding, so Elbert has to either tickle her feet or wiggle her little chicken wing (arms) to get her to wake up and start sucking again. Madi tends to do all her explosive and powerful poopies while feeding, so once she's done with one side, Elbert will change her so she's fresh, dry, and clean for feeding on the other side. :)

Oh! I totally forgot to tell you about her 3rd day check-up!!!
*************************************
MADISON'S 3RD DAY CHECKUP.... THURSDAY, JUNE 3RD, 2010

This was Madison's first check up with a pediatrician after we came home from the hospital. Looks like she lost some weight, but nothing too drastic. When she was born, she weighed in at 7lbs, 13oz. On her 3rd day check up, she weighed 7lbs, 5oz. Not too bad! :) Most babies end up losing about 7% of their birth weight after they are born. Her next check up will be on her 2 week birthday, and by then, she should gain back the weight she lost or even surpass her birthweight. By the way that she's been feeding, I'm thinking she's gonna be a little oinker.

The pediatrician said that she looked 100% healthy and nothing to worry about. No jaundice and heart, lungs, and breathing all sound good! That's what I like to hear! :) She surprisingly didn't cry or go nuts when she was at the pediatrician's office. Even when she had to strip down to her birthday suit to get weighed! Can't wait to go to her 2 week appointment to see how much weight she gains! Here's Madi telling the pediatrician, "Go ahead! Check me!"

*************************************

1 WEEK POSTPARTUM

I wasn't quite sure how my body would look like after giving birth to Madison. I've heard that immediately after you give birth, your body looks like how it looked like at 6 months pregnant... Which means, you're still gonna have that baby bump, somewhat. When I got to the postpartum room to recover after the delivery, I was weirded out by how my belly was just a big pile of mush. I was all skinny from underneath my boobies, through to my belly area. Then my belly just popped out, all mushy looking. Scary!! But each day, the mushy belly got smaller and smaller and smaller. And I've been feeling a lot more confident about getting my pre-pregnancy body back sooner than later! Yay!

I weighed myself yesterday and found out that I have 12 pounds to go to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight! Woo-hoo!! That doesn't seem too bad! :) Here's my one week post partum belly picture:

Still looks like I'm 6 months prego... Ah well.. It's gonna take some time! Can't wait til I can get back on my exercise routine again. Gotta blast that flab away! Swim suit season is here! hahaha

0 comments:

Post a Comment