Friday, January 21, 2011

Oh No! Madi's First Allergic Reaction!

What a scare this morning! Madi had her very first allergic reaction to food! Madi has been doing SO well with her solids lately that I decided to get all fancy and let her try some edamame. BAD idea... Well, I guess it wouldn't have been that bad of an idea had she not had an allergic reaction to it... When I make/prepare her foods, I usually just let her eat it, spoonful after spoonful, but thank goodness Elbert suggested that I let Madi taste a wee bit of the edamame off my fingertip right after I finished making the puree. Who knows what would have happened had I just given it to her in spoonfuls for breakfast! Yikes! I don't even want to think about it!

So Madi only had like 3 really tiny bits of the puree off of my fingertip, and minutes later, her face, lips, and hands blew up with hives! I started to panic a bit because it has never happened to her before, and I wasn't sure if the hives were gonna get any worse. I made sure she that she was breathing ok and all that stuff, but she seemed totally fine. She had no idea that anything was wrong with her haha. So I tried to remain as calm as I could, knowing that if I really did panic, she would pick up on it.

But after a good 20 minutes or so, the redness and swelling, and bumps and stuff started slowly going away- a VERY good sign! I washed her hands and her face and put a wee bit of hydrocortisone cream on her hands and hoped for the best.

Madi was good as new after about an hour! Yay!!! Boy was I relieved! I guess Madi has a soy allergy! Uh-oh! Hopefully she'll grow out of it when she gets a wee bit older!

And I don't know if this was part of the allergic reaction or not, but she FELL ASLEEP STANDING IN THE JUMPEROO!!! What in the world? How do you go from jumping one minute, to falling asleep standing up the next? I was working away on my laptop, when I realized I didn't hear any movement from her... So I glanced on over to her, and noticed her hand was lying on top of the blue horse, her head slightly hung down. I peered on over to look at her face, and couldn't believe my eyes... Her eyes were shut! I sort of laughed, but sort of panicked at the same time, because I wasn't sure if she had passed out from an allergic reaction or not, otherwise, I would have snapped a photo of her sleeping, standing in her jumperoo... So I immediately pulled her out of the jumperoo, which woke her (thank goodness!), and I guess she was just really tired, because she fell asleep in my arms about 5 minutes later... Talk about a scary morning today!

Here's Madi's poor face with her not so cute hives... It looked a lot worse than what you see in the photos. Her poor face was all red and bumpy and scary!

3 comments:

  1. OMG! How awful! Poor Madi! You sound calm though. My story would have gone something like, "I saw these hives and some swelling and I started hyperventilating until I, myself passed out. Then we woke up in the ER, Abby was fine, but I had a heart attack, etc." No more soy for you Madi! We need you at play group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cory- you crack me up! hahaha I tried my best to remain calm because Madi was already wondering why I kept looking at her like she grew a third eye or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, not an allergy. There is a lot of stuff with soy in it now a days also.

    I had so much experience with my allergies that I knew what to do when Claire reacted to a peanut butter sandwich. But it was still the crazy rush to get Benedryl and calling the doctor.

    ReplyDelete