Friday, June 10, 2011

"1" - The Magic Number...


Something "magical" happened after Madison turned 1 last week. The "magic" is kind of like when I was 5... My older brother and I would arm wrestle all the time and of course he would always win... Until I put on his homemade "magical" Wonder Woman bracelet that was made out of white, lined notebook paper. The minute I slipped it on my wrist, the magical powers from the bracelet would permeate into my body, and I became this incredibly strong little girl that would always beat my brother. It was awesome... So ever since Madison turned one last week, her "Wonder Woman" bracelet decided to turn her into this powerful little toddler, who is soaking things up like a sponge and learning things at lightening speed! Totally on a "monkey see, monkey do" kick!

And I'm not complaining about it. It's great to see my child learn all of these amazing things within a week. She's gotten the hang of crawling EVERYWHERE! I can't just set her down and go to the bathroom or make myself a sandwich anymore. Well, I can, but she will never be in the same spot where I've first left her at. And she's quick too! Curious little critter just wants to get into everything now! And have I told you about the walking? Well, she still can't walk on her own, but she's getting pretty darn close. This girl won't give mommy a break in the walking department. She's constantly on the go and makes mommy "walk" her wherever her hearts desires. It seems like she never gets tired too. She just walks and walks and walks and walks... And God forbid that mommy's back gets tired... If I pick Madison up to give myself a break, this girl WON'T have any of it! Carrying her was so yesterday- there's no way she'll sit still in my arms long enough to go from one room to the other. Those feet constantly wanna do the walking!

And her other magic trick she's picked up this past week? Getting the mail keys from our drawer... She knows that we need to get the keys to the mailbox every time I say, "Let's go get the mail!" When she hears those words, she immediately runs (with my help of course) to our little table where we keep the mail keys, opens up the top drawer by herself, lets go of my hands and hangs on to the opened drawer, stands on her tippy toes to look inside the drawer, fishes around with her hand in the drawer to find the mail keys, shuts the drawer, and then hangs on the mail keys with one hand, while reaching for mommy's hands with her other hand, to tell Mommy, "OK, walk me to the mailbox now!" Amazing, I tell you...


I am just thrilled that Madison is finally mobile! I'm sure she will have a much more fun time playing with her friends, and I'm sure that it gives her a sense of pride and independence when she's hanging out at home. Should I hand her her own credit card and car keys now? Anyway, this new found freedom does have some consequences though. Aside from the obvious of having to baby-proof our home (which we still have yet to do. BAD parents. Spank us please!), it has disrupted her 12 hour sleep through the night. I've read about this in many books, magazines, and online forums, but I guess when your baby starts learning how to crawl or walk, their mind is constantly going a mile a minute, thinking about these new activities that they've learned. These thoughts constantly wake them up in the middle of the night. I can't take pride in saying that my baby sleeps 12 hours at night, while I get my 7 - 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep anymore... Bleh...

This mobility thing also means... Surprises! Dirty surprises!

Sometimes messy surprises... Sometimes funny surprises... And sometimes accidental/hurtful surprises for her tiny fingers and toes... We definitely need to keep an eagle eye on Madison at all times now. She is definitely the kind that smiles at you when you tell her, "NO!" Mischievous little devil!

0 comments:

Post a Comment